The Five Year Forward View, first published in 2014, is a modernisation strategy for the NHS. It has aimed to introduce new models of care to meet the demands of a changing population. That included forming Sustainability and Transformation Partnerships (STPs), a new type of service planning with a focus on local communities, based on fostering collaboration between NHS organisations and councils. This is a pledge to back the implementation of the Five Year Forward View at a local level.
In March 2018, the Secretary of State for Health and Social Care announced a £760 million funding boost for the NHS, to support 40 local projects and STPs. A total of £2.6 billion is set to be allocated to STPs over this parliament.
A significant development under this government has been the publication of the NHS Long Term Plan which has effectively superseded the Five Year Forward view. It has the development of Integrated Care Systems (ICSs), basically enhanced STPs, at its core. The Plan states that:
“By April 2021 ICSs will cover the whole country, growing out of the current network of Sustainability and Transformation Partnerships (STPs).”
The Long Term Plan’s final chapter is devoted to laying out next steps towards implementation and proposes legislative changes to aid the development of ICSs.
Implementation of the Five Year Forward View and STPs has been backed with significant funding, and the Long Term Plan proposes legislation to grow the STP model into ICSs nationally by 2021. We think these developments warrant a status of ‘done’. We’ll keep tracking to see what comes of the strategies outlined in the Long Term Plan, so follow this policy for updates.
Fresh, locally sourced information!
- Sustainability and transformation plans – Local Government Association
- Sustainability transformation plans explained – King’s Fund
- Sustainability and Transformation Partnerships progress dashboard – NHS
- Sustainability and Transformation in the NHS – National Audit Office
- Sustainability and Transformation Plans How serious are the proposals? A critical review – London South Bank University
- Integrated care: organisations, partnerships and systems inquiry – Health and Social Care Committee
- Sustainability and transformation plans (STPs): How do you know if STPs are making a positive impact? – Local Government Association
- Sustainability or transformation? Without additional funding, STPs are unlikely to deliver both – British journal of general practice