The National Cyber Security Centre (NCSC) was established in October 2016 under the previous government as a means to build effective partnerships between the government, public and industry to ensure that the UK is safer online. The launch of the centre coincided with the introduction of the National Cyber Security Strategy (NCSS) in November 2016, laying out the UK’s cyber security strategy until 2021. The strategy was set to be funded by a £1.9 billion investment from the government over the strategy’s five years.
The current government has pledged to build upon the establishment of the NCSC by successfully implementing the National Cyber Security Strategy.
This policy is closely related to several others (see “Related policies” below). In short, the government has looked to continue the implementation of the NCSS and has maintained its commitment to allocating the planned £1.9 billion over the strategy’s five years. For example, under the NCSS, the government launched the Cyber Security Skills Immediate Impact Fund in February 2018 to support the growth of the UK’s cyber security sector.
These measures demonstrate that the government is committed to building on the establishment of the NCSC through the NCSS and has begun working to do so. However, the NCSS is still a long way off completion (lasting until 2021) and until the effects of the strategy can be seen in full, this policy will be marked as ‘in progress’. We’ll be monitoring developments under the NCSS, so follow this policy for updates.
Love the detail?
- National Cyber Security Centre Annual Review 2018 – Gov.uk
- About the NCSC – Gov.uk
- National Cyber Security Centre (United Kingdom) – Wikipedia
- National Cyber Security Strategy 2016-2021 – Gov.uk
- The National Cyber Security Centre, National Cyber Security Strategy 2016-2021 – Gov.uk
- Britain’s cyber security bolstered by world-class strategy – Gov.uk
- World-leading cyber centre to be developed in London’s Olympic Park – Gov.uk
- Cyber Security Skills Immediate Impact Fund – Gov.uk
- Cyber Security Export Strategy – Gov.uk
- Government announces support for cyber security companies to protect UK and allies – Gov.uk