Ensure veterans’ skills and qualifications are recognised by civilian employers
Last updated: 01:35pm 1 January 2019
Conservative Party Manifesto 2017, p.42
We will help veterans to start new careers by ensuring that the skills and qualifications they gained in service are recognised by civilian employers…
- veterans will face no disadvantage compared to other citizens
- special consideration is sometimes appropriate for veterans
Support programmes for veterans entering civilian employment, such as the Ministry of Defence (MoD) Career Transition Partnership (CTP), or the Veteran Employment Transition Support (VETS) partnership, have been the traditional mechanisms for trying to ensure that there continues to be “‘no difference’ in employment status between working-age veterans and non- veterans”.
But what has changed since this government came to power?
In November 2018, the government published the “first ever UK-wide strategy on the delivery of support for veterans”, The Strategy for Our Veterans. One of its key themes is “Employment, education and skills”, and it acknowledges that:
“Some employers have limited understanding of the military workplace…which can add to the challenge of entering employment for those leaving the Armed Forces.”
The strategy has a long-term objective to ensure that veterans enter appropriate employment and enhance their careers throughout their working lives.
Alongside the strategy, the government launched a consultation containing questions for employers aimed at gaining an understanding of the best way to overcome existing barriers to the recruitment of veterans.
The strategy paper and the consultation are evidence of ongoing efforts by the government to fulfil this pledge, and represent early stages of an attempt to embed improvements in the employment prospects faced by veterans, so this policy is ‘in progress’. To move it to ‘done’ we would expect to see a clear action plan arising from the consultation and changes being implemented. Follow this policy for the latest developments.
Boost your skills, get the facts
- Deployment to employment: Exploring the veteran employment gap in the UK – The Royal British Legion
- Resettlement for Ex-Service Personnel: Ex Armed Forces Recruitment from CTP – Career Transition Partnership
- The VETS Model – Veterans Employment Transition Support
- The Strategy for Our Veterans – Gov.uk
- The Strategy for our Veterans: UK Government Consultation Paper – Gov.uk
- Post Office and MOD agree new partnership on veterans employment – Gov.uk
- Veterans encouraged to sign up for career transition events – Gov.uk
There's always room for debate
We’re serious about providing clear, up-to-date, non-partisan information. We focus on being consistent and fair in how we reach our verdicts, and always explain our reasoning. But there is always room for debate. So if you see it differently, we’d love you to tell us why. Or even better, submit an edit.