The Security Service officially refers to just MI5, but “security services” is a term often used to describe the UK intelligence services more broadly, including the Secret Intelligence Service (MI6), Government Communications Headquarters (GCHQ) and Defence Intelligence (DI).
This policy is essentially a promise to continue funding the activities of these groups.
For reasons of national security, the full accounts for each individual agency are not made public, so to assess investment levels we rely on the combined Security and Intelligence Agencies Financial Statement which provides us with:
This policy is ‘done’. We’ll be monitoring to ensure these levels of investment continue until the end of this government’s term of office. Follow this policy for updates.
Invest in your intelligence, get the details
- Security Service MI5 – Gov.uk
- Secret Intelligence Service MI6 – Gov.uk
- Government Communications Headquarters (GCHQ) – Gov.uk
- Defence Intelligence – Gov.uk
- Security and Intelligence Agencies Financial Statement 2016-17 – Gov.uk
- Security and Intelligence Agencies Financial Statement 2017-18 – Gov.uk
- Scrutiny Unit, House of Commons: Finance glossary – Parliament.uk