Maintain and strengthen the Armed Forces Covenant
Last updated: 08:58am 31 December 2018
Conservative Party Manifesto 2017, p.42
We will maintain and strengthen the Armed Forces Covenant.
- veterans will face no disadvantage compared to other citizens
- special consideration is sometimes appropriate for veterans
This policy promises to both maintain and strengthen the Armed Forces Covenant.
The Covenant Fund continues to receive funding and the breadth of information related to the Covenant available from government sources is testament to a maintained commitment.
In terms of “strengthening” the Covenant, a cross-government Armed Forces Covenant and Veterans Board was established in October 2017.
In April 2018, the Defence Secretary launched a Veterans Strategy to tackle “veterans’ homelessness, loneliness, debt problems, and mental health issues”, and a Veterans Unit to “champion the changing needs of the ex-service community”. Ministers were allocated to lead on veterans issues and the Covenant.
The annual report on the Covenant details significant initiatives in 2018 and outlines future commitments. However, it also notes concerns expressed by services groups, pointing to areas requiring further effort to meet the aims of the Covenant.
Overall, maintained funding and a commitment to broadening the impact of the Armed Forces Covenant mean this policy is ‘in progress’. To move it to ‘done’ we would expect a continued effort throughout the government’s term to address the concerns of services charities and families’ groups. Follow this policy to keep up to date.
Maintain and strengthen your grasp of the details
- The Armed Forces Covenant – Gov.uk
- Armed Forces Act 2011 – Gov.uk
- Covenant Fund – Gov.uk
- About Us – Armed Forces Covenant Fund Trust
- Armed Forces Covenant – topic page – Gov.uk
- Defence Secretary announces Armed Forces Covenant and Veterans Board – Gov.uk
- Defence Secretary launches first ever Veterans Strategy and new cross-Government Veterans Unit – Gov.uk
- The Strategy For Our Veterans – Gov.uk
- The Armed Forces Covenant Annual Report 2018 – Gov.uk
- Armed Forces Covenant – Debate Pack – Parliament.uk
There's always room for debate
We’re serious about providing clear, up-to-date, non-partisan information. We focus on being consistent and fair in how we reach our verdicts, and always explain our reasoning. But there is always room for debate. So if you see it differently, we’d love you to tell us why. Or even better, submit an edit.